Networker

Re: [Networker] Copying the bootstrap or equivalent?

2006-03-20 10:55:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Copying the bootstrap or equivalent?
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:53:52 -0000
Your *best* choice for doing this would be to use the bootstrap backup, which
allows you to bring your recovered media DB up without holes (best way I've
found to change platform, btw).  You can do this by creating a file device,
directing the bootstrap backup to it, then taking that directory across to the
other system and running mmrecov there.

Doing this using the same hostname will be pretty simple.  Clients already know
which server to talk to, and this is pretty much a no-brainer change, or can be
done as a test DR scenario.  Shut down your original server while you do this
and ensure that your new server uses its IP address rather than simply shutting
down NetWorker on it (or down its NICs).  The other server will still be
available on the network otherwise, and you'll have IP conflicts etc.

If you only do backups at night, switching over like this isn't a problem.
Running them through the day requires you to keep your new server in "test" in
relative isolation until you can be sure that you can transfer operations in as
seamless a manner as possible.

Cheers,

Stuart.