Networker

Re: [Networker] simple command

2006-03-17 12:47:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] simple command
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:44:04 -0500
On Mar 17, 2006, at 12:28 PM — 3/17/06, Goslin, Paul wrote:

I had to put a barcode on my cleaning tape before the software would
recognize it as any kind of tape at all... Without a barcode, it refused to let me assign the # of uses. Legato support was totally clueless when I opened a support case .. I finally put a barcode on the cleaning tape
and all was well...

We have a Windows server with a Dell (adic) PV136T (60 slots w/ 3
IBM-LTO2 drives). I think Legato also recommends you put the cleaning
tape into the last numbered slot in the library (ours is slot #60).

This depends a lot on your tape library and how its configured. On our Sony PetaSite, every piece of media in that library has to be bar coded. If I forget to stick a bar code label on a new tape, the controller PC will immediately display a bunch of nasty "yo idiot" messages. I simply have a set of barcodes for cleaning tapes where the names begin with "CL" for that purpose.

On the other hand, our Qualstar 412600 does not complain at all when I place cleaning tapes without a bar code on them into the library.

The configuration options for setting up cleaning tapes on both libraries are also totally different and I have found its best to turn off all that stuff on both libraries.

"signoff networker" in the