Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 - Staging and Cloning

2006-03-08 20:03:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 - Staging and Cloning
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:01:07 -0800
> > D:\>mminfo -av -q ssid=1494157957 -r volume,ssbrowse,ssretent,ssid,cloneid
> >  volume         browse   retent  ssid          clone id
> > CDLC002R      15/03/2006 08/05/2006 1494157957 1141836420
> > CDLC002S      15/03/2006 08/05/2006 1494157957 1141837566
>

> Heh.  Read it again.  It's not the saveset retention period which is
> applying to the clone saveset, it's the clone retention period which
> is applying to the original saveset when the "Clones" checkbox is
> ticked.  So for something like saving to media in a virtual tape
> library with a retention period of 2 weeks in the short term and
> cloning off to physical tape to be held for 3 months, the data would
> be held on virtual tape for 3 months as well.  Unless you use nsrclone
> -y manually from command line/script, that is.

I was simply pointing out that like 'ssid', I would expect 'ssretent' to
be shared across all copies as it is in your output.  The fact that it
doesn't match your original retention is a separate issue.

What I was wondering was if another field existed that did offer
information not shared between the copies (something like
'cloneretent'), and additionally if such a field could be directly
manipulated with 'nsrmm' (like ssretent/ssbrowse can be).

If that's true, then the 'ssretent' could just be set to the oldest of
all clones and may no longer reflect the mechanism by which individual
clones are cleaned up.

If the other fields are there, then the behavior of the GUI would be
annoying, but could possibly be worked around by some scripting.  If
it's not there, then I'm puzzled by what mechanism the separate clone
retention is supposed be available.