Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto cloning and Staging

2006-03-06 08:46:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto cloning and Staging
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:24:55 -0000
You'll find that you can only have one read from an ADV file device.
This means you can clone, stage or restore but only one at a time. In
your case the cloning or staging will wait upon the other (depends on
which process grabbed the device first). All this is compounded if
another backup is writing to the device. Backup waiting for space on the
device - need to stage, stage can't run because clone has device... It
will sort itself out eventually if you just keep throwing tapes at it.

I get round this by having a ridiculously low HW level (50%) for auto
staging. At least the disk full problem doesn't happen (that often...)

Regards
Bob