Networker

Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-02-16 09:59:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:56:29 -0500
I've just gone through the process of selecting a server to act as a
storage node.  Being a solaris shop here, we prefer sun hardware running
solaris, but the existing sun servers (like the v490) didn't seem to have
the i/o throughput to handle trunked gig-E and drive a couple of LTO3's.
Started looking into IBM hardware, but Sun announced its T2000 servers.
According to the literature, these things are quite a jump in i/o
capability from the previous generation of hardware.

For my storage nodes, which I expect, at a minimum, to be able to drive a
pair of LTO3 at 80MB/sec, I selected the 8 core server, with two dual port
fibre channel HBA (both PCI-E, 4x), and a 10-GE ethernet (PCI-X
133MHz/64bit).

The machines are ordered.  Any guesses how many LTO3 drives I can keep
running at 80MB/sec once this thing is set up?

I'll keep you all posted.

Jim

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.