Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving Networker server Solaris -> Linux?

2006-02-15 15:26:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving Networker server Solaris -> Linux?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:24:27 -0600
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 02:00:26PM -0600, Rich Graves wrote:
> We're interested in moving our primary Networker server from an aging,
> underpowered Sun box to Linux instead of replacing the Sun. The cost
> argument is pretty strong -- a new Networker Network Edition for Linux
> license costs about the same as annual maintenance on the existing
> Solaris license, and the commodity hardware is cheaper. Other than the
> server itself, the backup hardware is a few terabytes of FC disks for
> staging (tier 2 D2D license) and FC-attached SDLT-320 drives for
> cloning/archiving, all of which should work with a Linux server. I'm
> aware that we could buy a Linux Storage Node, but that just delays the
> problem.
>
> I know that moving indices and media database between platforms is not
> supported. Is it in fact impossible? Ever if just one can be moved, that
> might be acceptable -- i.e., rescue the indices but need scanner to
> actually read the tapes, or rescue the media database but lose indices
> and need full saveset recovers to restore data.
>
> Of course we could keep the Sun lying around and use a cheap standalone
> drive for restores.
>
> Who's been down this road before?

It can be done.  I think a few besides me have done it.  I had some
complications because I changed the backups server name as well -- the
process, I think, would have gone much smoother if it was just a OS
swap.  The basic process is about the same as a DR restore (mmrecov)
except on a new machine.  I was able to move media database and indexes
from Solaris to Linux.

EMC can issue you a host transfer license to move it from the Sun to the
Linux box, so you shouldn't need to purchase a new license for the Linux
side.  (But that might require an active support contract, I don't
know.)

Dave