Networker

Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance

2006-02-08 11:47:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:41:23 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance,...:

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Tim Mooney wrote:

TM> What distribution (SuSe, right?), kernel, and version of the qlogic drivers
TM> are you using?  We're using 2.4.31 on Red Hat AS 2.1 with the 6.06.10
TM> qlogic 2300 drivers, and we're not seeing this issue.
TM>
TM> $ head -n 4 /proc/scsi/qla2300/0
TM> QLogic PCI to Fibre Channel Host Adapter for QLA2342         :
TM>         Firmware version:  3.02.16, Driver version 6.06.10
TM> Entry address = f882b060
TM> HBA: QLA2312 , Serial# L82447

We use the ones which ship with SuSE. The one used was automatically
selected by the SuSE installer:

sdx@sn01:~> head /proc/scsi/qla2xxx/0
QLogic PCI to Fibre Channel Host Adapter for QLA2340:
       Firmware version 3.03.18 IPX, Driver version 8.01.02-sles
ISP: ISP2312, Serial# C25282
Request Queue = 0xbf100000, Response Queue = 0xf4e40000
Request Queue count = 2048, Response Queue count = 512

Do you think we should use another driver?

If the driver is causing oopses, then probably, but the question is,
"which driver?".  Your card has a newer firmware and you're using a newer
driver than we are.  In fact, your driver version says it's newer than
the latest on QLogic's site -- they list 8.01.01 from 1/27/06.

We had a lot of problems with the default qla driver in Red Hat 2.1 (2.1
is getting pretty old at this point, though, so that's to be expected).
I think that driver was based on the version 5.x QLA code.  We haven't
had any problems since we started building our own kernel with the V6 driver.

I'm not sure what to tell you.  You're obviously using the 2.6 Linux
kernel, so the V7 or V6 driver apparently isn't an option for you.
Probably the best thing would be to try capture enough information so that
QLogic can track down what's going on.  I would probably try working
through them first.  You're buying their hardware (and not cheap hardware
at that), so they have a strong interest to make sure that it works in
your environment.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the