Networker

[Networker] Unusual activity on local DLT drives

2006-02-07 18:19:02
Subject: [Networker] Unusual activity on local DLT drives
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tim.kimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:17:32 -0500
I'm getting a recent condition where an occasional DLT drive on the server
just 'hangs' on 'setting up for writing, moving forward . . .'  etc.

Both the nsrjb and nsrmmd are sitting there, doing nothing.

I can kill the nsrjb, it clears out.  Cannot kill the nsrmmd, even with -9;
It will eventually clean out of its own accord by actions of nsrd, but it
can take up to an hour or more.

While this is going on, backups that are pre-attached to this drive process
during mount just sit there.  Very fustrating.

This mostly happened after we moved a DLT drive from the server to a
storage node that was all-LTO, so that recoveries are available.  The
library is a virtual one because the drives are managed by AlphaStor.

I'm probably missing a setting someplace, but for the life of me can't find
it.  I'm also in the process of rotating out old or much-used tapes, as I
am also seeing the occasional tape begin to be unreadable and we've plenty
of spares anyway (plus we're moving away from DLT).

Any assistance is appreciated.

--TSK

Library:  L700

Server:  Sun E450, 4 DLT-7000 & the Library SCSI, Networker Server, dual-fc
link for disk backup.
Storage Node:  Sun V240, 2 LTO-2 (fiber-direct), 1 DLT-7000 (diff-scsi),
AlphaStor server, dual-fc link for disk backup.
Storage Node:  Sun V880, 3 LTO-2 (LVD SCSI) in a separated setup.