Networker

[Networker] Tracking NetWorker license codes

2006-02-06 18:34:33
Subject: [Networker] Tracking NetWorker license codes
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 18:32:49 -0500
We're at the early stages of charging other departments to do backups of their servers to our central site NetWorker server. Right now, the only charge is for the cost of a client connection and any optional modules they may need. I am wondering if others are in this situation. I assume so. How do you keep track of which department owns which auth code? I am using 7.2.1 so I have set up an Excel spread sheet with the details on it and I fill in the comment field on each auth code I register for an outside department, but this is going to get too confusing, esp. since NetWorker doesn't know who owns which license.

At some point, we will also charge for tape resources, but that hasn't happened yet. This idea is not mine; I think it is not cost- effective to buy individual client connections each time we need to add a new server onto our nightly backup schedule, but that's the way management wants it here.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to manage this stuff so that you don't accidentally use one department's license for another group's server, please let me know.

Thanks,

Stan

"signoff networker" in the