Networker

Re: [Networker] MSCS cluster backups

2006-02-03 13:56:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] MSCS cluster backups
From: "Scalise, Kathleen (NSTS.JAX)" <kathleen_scalise AT ML DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:54:45 -0500
We have been backing up Microsoft Clusters for sometime now.

I have each node separated out:  c:\, d:\, SYSTEM STATE:\  etc...
However (I never tried) if you were to do an ALL on the nodes and say
everything is on node 1 then you would get all the drives and if/when it
should fail over to node 2 you would get them all there too??  If that
were the case then you wouldn't need cluster license?  Never tried, I am
satisfied with the way we have the backups setup...as follows:

For the 'drives' we have had to set up a virtual client name and list
them individually.  Also in the clients resources on the server you need
to put each node in Remote Access (system@node1, system@node2, etc).

If you do end up having to setup all the drives individually you can
list all the possible drive letters in the virtual client.  It will
backup the drives that are available and the ones that aren't set up it
will come back and say "no such file or directory"  When/if they put a
new drive out there, when the backup runs it should see it and do a FULL
the first time.  Just will need to check your logs.

One of my clients a directory will fill up and they would create a new
one and this is how I could tell when the one directory was full and
they started on a new one, otherwise I would be backing up directory 1
and things were written to directory 2 and I wouldn't know. I do this
with directories, and assume it would work similar with drives?

Kathleen Scalise