Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing the tapes, use mmlocate ?

2006-02-03 11:12:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing the tapes, use mmlocate ?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:10:40 -0500
On Feb 3, 2006, at 11:04 AM — 2/3/06, Scott Russell wrote:

Stan Horwitz wrote:
What's your saveset retention policy? For that matter, why not just set the tapes to manual recycle? Setting a tape to full will not prevent it from being used again without manual intervention, but setting the tape to manual recycle will avoid automated reuse.
Ah, I see now. My saveset retention is three months So you're saying the way to do this is to forget about mmlocate and use nsrmm to set the tape mode to 'manual' and then unload the physical media. Hmm, I suppose it's also a good idea to use mmlocate to set the location to something other than the Jukebox, just for reference.

If the tapes are partially full and I set the mode to 'manual' I don't have to worry about Networker asking for the tape at the next backup?

Not quite. You would need to set the tapes to full (or mark them as read only) AND set them to manual recycle. If you set a tape to manual recycle, but leave the other settings alone, it can still receive additional data. Savesets on manually recyclable tapes can also still fall out of their retention period. To prevent the tapes from being reused, another option is to change the saveset retention period to some high limit, perhaps a decade. The best choice of options depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve.

"signoff networker" in the