Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO-3 (go with IBM or HP?) hitting from Windows2k3 over the SAN

2006-02-01 18:55:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO-3 (go with IBM or HP?) hitting from Windows2k3 over the SAN
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:54:24 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] LTO-3 (go with IBM or HP?) hitting from...:

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 05:25:26PM -0600, Tim Mooney wrote:
HP support was pretty much worthless when STK and I were asking
for recommended stinit.def entries for using LTO-3 on Linux.  We
eventually ended up writing our own based on the LTO-1 stinit.def entry
and the tech manuals for the drives.

Can you post what you came up with for an HP LTO-3 stinit.def entry?  I
didn't make any modifications to the file for our drives, so I'm curious
what you needed that I'm missing.

You're probably not missing anything, at least anything important.
I've included what we originally got from SUN/Stk in the comment.

# LTO Generation 3
#
# TVM: here's what Sun/STK recommended:
#
# manufacturer=HP model="Ultrium 3-SCSI" {
# can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering auto-lock
# timeout=800
# long-timeout=14400
# mode=1
# blocksize=0
# density=0x00
# fast-eom=1
# }

manufacturer="HP" model = "Ultrium 3-SCSI" {
        scsi2logical=1
        can-bsr=1
        auto-lock=0
        two-fms=0
        drive-buffering=1
        buffer-writes
        read-ahead=1
        async-writes=1
        can-partitions=0
        fast-eom=1

        #
        # If your stinit supports the timeouts:
        timeout=3600            # 1 hour
        long-timeout=14400      # 4 hours

        # 400 GB + compression
        mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x44 compression=1

        # 400 GB, no compression
        mode2 blocksize=0 density=0x44 compression=0

        # LTO2 ~= 220 GB + compression
        mode3 blocksize=0 density=0x42 compression=1

        # LTO2 ~= 220 GB, no compression
        mode4 blocksize=0 density=0x42 compression=0
}
# end of LTO-3

Note that when we finally got a response from HP, after we had written
this, they sent a stinit.def for a Certance drive, which they had
apparently scrounged off the internet somewhere.  The main difference was
that for mode 4, they used density 0x40, which apparently is LTO-1.

Note also that the stinit.def that I'm using turns auto-lock off.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the