Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3

2006-01-12 08:15:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:09:22 -0500
I was advised during the beta test that the "Green GUI" is fine for
monitoring NetWorker 7.3 but should not be used for making changes,
particularly to devices and jukeboxes.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:21:50 -0800, Ballinger, John M
<john.ballinger AT PNL DOT GOV> wrote:

>Turns out I can run the 7.2.1 nwadmin Windows against a 7.3.Build.190
Solaris - but I assume there are some things you can't do ?
>When are the media kits going out ?
>
>Thanks - John

Behalf Of Siobhan Ellis
>Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 3:08 PM
>To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3
>
>The NMC server does not have to be installed with every NetWorker server.
It can connect to multiple NetWorker servers. So, in a DMZ, you have NMC on
the inside, and tunneling through to the NetWorker server in the DMZ.

>I do agree, BTW, that it was a dumb move to completley blow away nwadmin.
>They should've run side by side for a while.
>
>Siobhan
>

>Siobh�n Ellis
>Principal Technology Consultant
>ENSTOR Pty Ltd
>Level 10, 118 Alfred St
>Milsons Point
>NSW 2061
>Australia
>
>Mobile: +61 424 750 544
>Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
>Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
>e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au
>web: http://www.enstor.com.au

>just installed 7.3 on my sparc workstation, (283MB download... grrr).
>
>i can confirm there is no nwadmin....
>
>nmc sets up a database, but also provides a backup method for it, and it
got set up by default when installing a server.... this will probably have
to be done manually when upgrading....

>the JRE situation is ugly....   for the solaris10 mozilla i had to re-hook
>some symlinks from /usr/java to /usr/j2se... and then when the gui is
launching it wanted stuff from the net, some compressed .jar files... and
then it tanked because our corporate virus scanning proxy blocked the
request.... it is not going to be fun doing this in a DMZ...

>on windows xp my corporate laptop has a sun jre... but was 1.5....   it did
>however provide a link to a windows installer for jre 1.4.2 ... from the
nmc server... so theres another reason for the bloat...  anyway, on
following that link, i did actually get NMC to fly, but only in IE, not in
firefox....

>I agree with previous comments.... if i was evaluating legato i would have
been gone by now to look at commvault and netbackup...

>and you just need to *know* that the default login is
administrator/administrator.

>also, the windows 7.2.1 nwadmin fails to connect to the 7.3 server with
some vague RPC errors.... not sure if this is surmountable yet.

>taking nwadmin out has got to be one of the most idiotic decisions i have
seen legato take.... It will probably put us back at least 6 months before
we can upgrade as we now have to retrain all the sysops and admins, we'll
have to reformulate the training material, and don't even get me started on
how to convince the desktop people to downgrade jre on everyone's desktop...

>________________________________

.... (phone) 831.657.4539 Sequoia Insurance ........ (fax) 831.657.4512
>::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

>::: Sequoia Insurance Security Privacy Message v1.2 :::
>The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
material, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the
reader of this message is not an intended recipient or agent responsible for
delivering it to an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is STRICTLY
PROHIBITED. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately, delete the message, and destroy any hard copy printouts. Thank you.

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this

>NOTICE
>This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended
recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or
act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the
author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Bank.

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this

>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
>type
"signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu if
you have any problems