Networker

Re: [Networker] Long term retention question

2006-01-05 16:29:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Long term retention question
From: "Rohrich, James" <James.Rohrich AT UOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:28:46 -0600
"Our 32-bit root servers currently use the FreeBSD 4.7 operating system.
As with all Unix and Unix-like operating systems, time and dates in
FreeBSD are represented internally as the number of seconds since the
UNIX Epoch, which was the 1st of January 1970 GMT.

32-bit systems can only store a maximum of 231 non-negative seconds
(2,147,483,648 seconds or about 68 years). Which means that 32-bit UNIX
systems won't be able to process time beyond 19 Jan 2038 at 3:14:07 AM
GMT."
http://www.gsp.com/2038/

James Rohrich
UOP LLC