Networker

[Networker] How many RAID 5's should be used with DBO.

2006-01-04 12:17:30
Subject: [Networker] How many RAID 5's should be used with DBO.
From: Michael Hurst <mhurst AT NOC.UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:07:23 -0500
Hi All,

I am in the process of adding a new 16TB disk array (32 * 500GB SATA drives) to
our NetWorker Server.
I am going to split the array into 2TB chucks and implement Legato's DBO.
I am using 2TB chucks because of the cost of licensing additional devices.
I am going to configure the array disks into a RAID 5 solution.
Since we have limited funds there is no test environment for me to work with.
Therefore, I am going live to production and was hoping someone could share
their experiences.

Is there any advantage to running one big 16TB (raw) RAID 5 or having several
RAID 5 groups (possible 1 per 2TB partition)?
I know there will be more space loss with the extra RAID groups but will this
be offset with other factors?

Also, the backup server is running on Solaris.
Is it advisable to reduce the number of inodes when running newfs?
The default seems to be over kill for the number of NetWorker backup streams.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Michael Hurst
University of Toronto