Networker

Re: [Networker] Help with Directive Format / Wildcard Syntax Plea se

2006-01-03 19:30:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Help with Directive Format / Wildcard Syntax Plea se
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:22:13 +1100
I noticed this from the 7.3 documentation in the nmc which is an improvement
over the old online help.....

        File Matching with Multiple ASMs in a Directive

        When a file matches multiple ASMs in a directive, the action taken on
the file depends on the order
        of the ASMs in the directive. For example, if the following two ASMs
are listed in a directive:
        +always: master.mdf master.ldf
        +skip *.mdf *.ldf

        Then the master.mdf and the master.ldf files will be backed up because
the always ASM is processed first.
        All other files with a .mdf or .ldf extension will not be backed up.
However, if the order of the ASMs is reversed:
        +skip *.mdf *.ldf
        +always: master.mdf master.ldf

        Then the master.mdf and the master.ldf files will not be backed up
because the skip ASM is processed first.
        Note: To simplify directives that include multiple potential matches
for the same file, consider using save environment keywords. For more
information, see Save Environment Keywords.

Eg:  exactly the opposite to how I assumed precedence worked...