Networker

Re: [Networker] Same Netware volumes regularly fail to backup

2006-01-02 09:53:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Same Netware volumes regularly fail to backup
From: Tony Skalski <ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:45:08 -0600
Andrew,

We saw (and actually still see occasionally) this problem. After a few weeks with Legato's tech support, someone on this list (or a Novell list) recommended back-revving to tcp659j. Doing this helped tremendously (we had one volume that would do nothing more than throw RPC errors after a few hundred GB). I have seen it once since. We saw the problem with NetWare 6.5 SP4a + client 7.2 and RH9 + Networker 7.1.3 server.

I was able to reproduce the error with a 0KB file I found on the volume and I have a hunch (unconfirmed as yet) the issue is related to strange filenames resulting from code page mismatches (between NetWare server and a client).

I cannot get Legato to tell me what the core issue is or under what circumstances it can be reproduced, yet they will say it is a Novell problem, for whatever that's worth.

ajs

Andrew Horne wrote:
Hi,

I am seeing a problem with some elements of our backup and would appreciate
comments.

The servers affected are all Netware 6.5SP4a.
The Networker version is 7.1.3 running on Solaris.

The error message is this -
servername:USR1: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: RPC send operation failed.  A network
connection could not be established with the host.

I have watched the process and the volume appears to backup, at the NWadmin
GUI the message 'servername:USR1 Done' is seen.  The volume then starts to
backup a second time.  The index for the Netware volume exists and I can
successfully do a save-set recovery of the Netware volume.  I cannot browse
the index from the Netware server itself so cannot recover individual files.

I have tried setting a backup of a single one of these failing volumes going
and the same error occurs ( By changing the backup from 'All' to specify the
volume name.)  Other volumes on the same server backup fine without this
problem.

I am pretty sure these servers didn't have a problem before the upgrade to SP4a.

I am going to try back-revving to the previous TSAFS version.

Regards,

Andrew

"signoff networker" in the

Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator
507-646-3227
ajs AT stolaf DOT edu
St. Olaf College                   1510 St. Olaf Avenue
Information and                          Northfield, MN
Instructional Technologies                   55057-1097

"signoff networker" in the