Networker

[Networker] 7.3 release notes and directed recovers?

2005-12-30 13:06:09
Subject: [Networker] 7.3 release notes and directed recovers?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:04:53 -0600
I've only briefly skimmed the release notes for 7.3, but I found a pretty
serious red flag and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it.  The
problem is on page 42 of the PDF, the "Restrictions for NetWorker Clients
Earlier Than 5.5...".

With NetWorker server 7.0 through 7.1.2, it was not possible to do a saveset
recover on a client that was using the 5.5 or earlier codebase.  This
included the NetWare 4.22 client.  This restriction essentially held our
site up from moving to 7.x server.

That restriction was removed in version 7.1.3, and we promptly migrated to
7.1.3.  We have verified that saveset recovers work on our NetWare clients
using 4.22 NetWorker client and the 7.1.3 server.

Now the 7.3 release notes imply that the restriction is back.  Can anyone
shed any light on this?  Has the restriction come back (likely because the
7.3 codebase was forked before 7.1.3, and the fix that went into 7.1.3
never made it into 7.3), or is it a case of something getting included in
the release notes that doesn't apply any longer?

If the release notes are correct, we're essentially going to be forced to
go to the version 7.2 NetWare client before we can go to 7.3 on our
server, which introduces more changes in our environment in close
proximity than I would like.

Thanks,

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the