Networker

Re: [Networker] Encryption

2005-12-21 15:48:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encryption
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:39:35 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Encryption, Scalise, Kathleen (NSTS.JAX) said...:

We are looking at encrypting to tape (backups and clone).

If your budget allows for it, using a "go between" appliance (like
the ones you mentioned originally) seems to be the best route.  I don't
know of very many sites using them (we're not), but the few sites I've
heard of that have them seem to be very happy with them.  They have a
lesser performance impact than doing the encryption at a higher level (e.g.
in NetWorker).

I'm sure you've thought of it, but just remember that you'll need to
plan to have the same units at your DR site(s), so overall cost may be
significantly higher than what it would initially appear.

BTW, your EMC/Legato sales or sales support person might have some
vendor recommendations.  If you haven't already talked with them, it
very well might be worth your time.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the