Networker

[Networker] benefit to including FC switch between server and jukebox? ( ! SAN backup envir.)

2005-12-21 09:56:25
Subject: [Networker] benefit to including FC switch between server and jukebox? ( ! SAN backup envir.)
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:55:18 -0600
All,

We have in mind a project to replace three disparate data zones with one (a
consolidation in other words.)    Today the libraries are SCSI-attached and
all bkups are done over IP.

I'm planning to use four (4) LTO3 drives (over FC) inside an STK SL500
library.    Are there benefits to going into a switch (i.e. Brocade 4100),
rather than directly hook the drives/robotics into the FC HBAs on the
server?    Note that we are not doing SAN backups, i.e. the switch does not
see disks attached to other hosts.

TIA
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.