Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO-2 or LTO-3?

2005-12-19 12:36:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO-2 or LTO-3?
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:20:25 -0500
Either will be better than LTO1.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
by the improvment over LTO1.  IBM LTO2 makes use of an "adaptive rate
algorithm"...ie. it helps quite a bit on slower input streams.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:05:23 -0500, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We're thinking to upgrade to LTO-2 or LTO-3 drives. We're currently
>using LTO-1 drives (Seagate) on an STK L80. Does anyone have any advice
>on this issue? We're mostly looking for higher capacity. We'd be running
>Legato 7.x on a Dell poweredge 6650 storage node, running RedHat Linux,
>to manage the library with Solaris running on the primary server. We'd
>be using LSI HBA LVD/SE cards (dual channel cards with 320 MBps per
>channel), which I would think would be more than fast enough.
>
>Any bad experiences you'd care to share? Any particular vendor like IBM
>versus HP you prefer? Howe about the media?
>
>We'd most likely purchase Fugi and/or Maxell tapes. We've had problems
>in the past with off-brand LTO-1 media.
>
>Obviously, LTO-3 media will be more expensive, and we could not write to
>our older gen 1 media (read-only), whereas with LTO-2 we could read and
>write to our older media, but LTO-3 will write much faster and have
>higher capacity. Not sure how long LTO-3 has been around, but the Legato
>compatibility guide shows our L80 as supporting either the IBM or HP
>LTO-2 or LTO-3 drives, so I guess LTO-3 is fully supported under Legato
7.x

>Thanks.
>
>George
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems