Networker

Re: [Networker] quick file recover help please

2005-12-16 00:00:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] quick file recover help please
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:56:48 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] quick file recover help please, Diane Rolland...:

Thanks again for all the help...  the below steps are something I was not
aware of (and this is very usefule!), but it didn't find the file.

If the second option I presented (which is basically the long version of
the "recover -d /tmp/path -S ssid pathspec" that Peter mentioned in a
subsequent email) didn't find it, then either it's not on the tape or the
path you typed in didn't exactly match what's on the tape.

In any case, as this point your best bet is scanner.

You said that your index filesystem filled the night of the backup.  That
means that you probably don't have media database entries for the savesets
on the volume in question, which is too bad because if you did you could
skip right to the appropriate file number on the tape.

You might also have media database corruption, which you'll want to check
on after you get your file recovered.

Peter gave you the advanced version of scanner, piping it right into uasm.
That will work and it's faster, but I think it's a bit more error prone,
so I usually stick to the basics.  This is covered in the "scanner" man
page, but basically you just load (but not mount) the appropriate volume
in a drive, say /dev/nst0, using something like (assuming it's in slot
45):

        nsrjb -lnv -S 45 -f /dev/nst0

Once the volume is loaded, you need to rebuild the media and file index
entries based on the contents of that tape:

        scanner -iv /dev/nst0

(no "-f /dev/nst0", just "/dev/nst0").  That will scan the tape and
rebuild the media entries and the indexes for all the clients that have
savesets on that tape.

You will likely be prompted for an additional tape when it gets to the
end of this tape: it's trying to continue scanning the saveset that was
in progress when the tape filled.  If you're certain that the one that
was in progress is not the one that contained your file, you can just
"q" to quit.  Otherwise, unload the volume, load the next one, and
let it continue.

Once you've done that, your client index entries will be present, and you
can use the "recover" command to browse the index and recover the file you
want.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the