Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating Legato Networker from UNIX to Windows

2005-12-15 14:30:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating Legato Networker from UNIX to Windows
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:30:00 +0200
> We are migrating Legato Networker from UNIX to Windows.  UNIX we are
> running NetWorker 6.1.3Build 428 and on Windows we are running NetWorker
> 7.1.3.Build 404.

Bad move, performance wise.....

>  THis is not going to be FUN, however I have been
> admining NetWorker for about 4 years now, and luckily I have never had
> to 'scan' a tape!!  However, setting this up from scratch is a first.
>
> I have 'manually' created the clients using the client id's from the UNIX
> server.  That is about as far as I have gotten, I plan to create new
> pools, groups, schedules etc (unless one of you wise posters from the
> group advise me otherwise...but it really does need to be cleaned up).
> Any tips/tricks that anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated!

You can just copy the res directory over getting most of the config "with you"
You will also get away with copying the index structure.
Where you might or might not have a problem is in the mm as this
depends on the CPU byte ordering. As you did not tell us which UNIX
you are moving from I cannot tell if it would work.

> Here is the questio/problem...

It probably was working, but as the indices weren't transferred it couldn't
find the savesets in the index database. And you weren't using scanner -i

BRGDS
Dag