Networker

Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server

2005-12-13 15:14:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:09:51 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's...:

Ah, I see.  So you're not pushing that much data through a
single gigE link, you have two links.  Are your NetApp
backups going over the LAN?

The NetApp backups are going over a dedicated VLAN running jumbo frames.
The reason that we did this was that with 7.x you can parallelize the
streams from NDMP within the regular backup. This simplified our
environment considerably. We no longer have to have DDS sharing the
disks, with separate media pools, etc... Also, all of the backups can be
streamed to the same tapes, increasing the throughput.

That is a big advantage -- that very feature was discussed at length
during the BoF put on by EMC at LISA last week.

The disadvantage of doing that, though, is now your NDMP backups run
over your LAN (and cut into your available bandwidth there), rather than
through your SAN.  Most sites are probably willing to live with that
considering the other benefits of doing NDMP like traditional NetWorker
backups, but you do pay a penalty of available LAN bandwidth.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the