Networker

Re: [Networker] windows backup goes slow and fails

2005-12-13 10:53:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] windows backup goes slow and fails
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:47:50 -0500
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:38:03 +0200, Athanasios Douitsis
<aduitsis AT NOC.NTUA DOT GR> wrote:

>Many thanks to all those fine folks that pointed out the link speed and
configuartion issue,
>but -alas- this is not the case. Also, this is a very small save set so
this shouldn't
>present much trouble. At what magnitude scale does the file count starts
to present trouble?
>Also, I have temporarily disabled the virus scanners and firewalls to try
to isolate the
>problem but there was no difference.
>
>Cheers,
>Athanasios

Not tested this lately, but on NT4 we found that the time to get the info
about a file took as long as the time to back the file up happened with
file sizes of ~200 KBytes, I would imagine with faster tape drives this
will have increased in size since then. I would not expect the newer
Microsoft OSes to help as I beleive this is a function of the disk file
system.