Networker

Re: [Networker] Device Pathname not assigned to new tape drives

2005-12-12 17:29:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Device Pathname not assigned to new tape drives
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:27:18 -0800
> I currently installed 2 new AIT-2 tape drives into our scalar 1000. They
> are the same model as the first 2 which have been running fine for 3+
> years. The problem is that the device pathnames are not being assigned
> properly to the new tape drives. There is some strange behavior going on.
> They are seen by the OS, but for some reason it looks like the new
> pathnames I create manually are pointing to the first 2 devices and not
> the new ones that have been added. Any help would be appreciated. Here is
> my setup.

What do you mean "create manually"?  Normally just a 'boot -r' or a
'devfsadm' should be sufficient.

> # inquire
[snip data showing drives at addresses 4,5,8, and 9]

> # ls -l /dev/rmt/1hbn
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         45 Dec  9 15:40 /dev/rmt/1hbn -
> > ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/scsi@2/st@5,0:hbn
> # ls -l /dev/rmt/0cbn
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         45 Dec  9 15:40 /dev/rmt/0cbn -
> > ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/scsi@2/st@4,0:cbn

Assuming the drives at 4 and 5 were the "old" ones, this looks okay.

> # ls -l /dev/rmt/0hbn
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         45 Dec  9 15:40 /dev/rmt/0hbn -
> > ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/scsi@2/st@4,0:hbn
> # ls -l /dev/rmt/1cbn
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         45 Dec  9 15:40 /dev/rmt/1cbn -
> > ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/scsi@2/st@5,0:cbn

Uh, yes, same devices, same drives...

> Shouldn't the links 0hbn & 1hbn be pointing to the devices on ID 8 & 9?

No.  I would expect 2cbn and 3cbn (representing the next two numbers)
would point there.

> Then run jbconfig. This did not help. How can I get the proper pathnames
> assigned to the 2 new drives?

Why do you think the four links you listed would point to 4 different
drives?  The numeric portion is which drive, and the letters specify
options (like initial density setting).  By picking only 2 numbers, I
would only expect to see 2 drives.

What does 'ls -l /dev/rmt/*cbn' return?