Networker

[Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server

2005-12-12 16:06:47
Subject: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:05:54 -0600
All,

NetWorker 7.2.x, Solaris 8 (server), multiple OSs (clients)

I apologize upfront if this is an FAQ.  I searched through the archives but
couldn't find what I was looking for.

Today I have three separate data zones within the same network.   Sometime
soon, I want to essentially consolidate the functionality of the three onto
one, using a single large tape library and a number of LTO3 drives.

It seems to me that in order to accomplish this I can
(a) get a low-end Sun box capable of driving 6 LTO3 drives over fiber (i.e.
maybe a 440), or
(b) continue to use the SF280s I'm using now, each driving two LTO3 drives.

I'm uncertain what sort of licensing requirements there would be, were I to
go with option (b).

For a couple of reasons I won't get in to here, I do not plan to back up
data in a SAN (i.e. backup traffic will traverse our gigE switched network
instead.)

Comments/concerns/whatever, please send them my way. Thx!

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.