Networker

Re: [Networker] Reading/writing SAIT1 tapes on Linux that were written by solaris?

2005-12-01 17:07:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Reading/writing SAIT1 tapes on Linux that were written by solaris?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:01:07 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Reading/writing SAIT1 tapes on Linux that...:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Tim Mooney wrote:

TM> Assuming that the mode that's defined in /etc/stinit.def
TM> applies to the device file you're using, running stinit should be
TM> accomplishing that for you.

Alright. I admit its late and I've been playing around with this new
storage node for 12+ hours now, where of 6 have been used for
troubleshooting this particular problem. But it seems to be working now!
It noticed by coincidence that some drives were now accepting tapes by
default after a reboot! For some reson, the "mt -f device setblk 0" was
presistent across reboots. I could be dreaming, or whatever, but it seems
to work.. If someone feels like it, tell me how its possible. :)

More wild guesses:

Variable Block Size support is something that's either on or off in the
drive itself.  The "setblk 0" you sent it (which really just sent the
appropriate ioctl() to the device) flipped the variable block size switch
in the drive.

In the absense of external stimuli (i.e. if some other command or a
re-initialization of the device driver doesn't come along and change it
back to fixed block size), that setting should persist in the drive,
even though the host is rebooted.

The question is, will it persist if the drive is power cycled?  I'm
betting "no".

Care to test that and report back?  ;-)

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the