Networker

Re: [Networker] edit pre-production/pkgadd "nsrla.res" client file

2005-11-27 03:35:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] edit pre-production/pkgadd "nsrla.res" client file
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:32:52 +0200
> > The way to arrange for the wanted IP:s to be uased are:
> > 1. To get the right interface for the communication client->server use
> >    Server interface in the client setup (turn in details to see it).
> > 2 For the "ordergiving" the server will use the primary name of the
> >   client and use that ordinary TCP/IP mechanism to resolve that
> >   name.
>
> Didn't work for me until I changed the IP address embedded in the OID.
> It's probably not in the documentation.  Maybe it's a V7 thing.

No, it is definitely NOT the way to do it. IF it happens to work that is
pure coincidence and should not be used

> > Also everywhere else Networker will  use the standard name resolution
> > and routing for the TCP/IP communications.
>
> Yeah - fwd & rev DNS entries are mandatory in V7.

They have been mandatory since day one (at least since 1991 when
I started my career with Networker) so this goes for all versions.

> > Which attribute?
>
> Each entry in the nsrla.res file has a string in OID format.
> An IP address of the client is embedded in the OID string.
> I had to change it to get my client to talk to the server.

The OID is an internal identifier for accessing that resource from
Networker. If you have to change that, something is terribly
broken in your installation.

> > Also everywhere else Networker will  use the standard name resolution
> > and routing for the TCP/IP communications.
>
> You repeated yourself twice there!

Sorry, copy/pasted the chapter and forgot to remove the
original.

> > Are you talking about the /nsr/res/servers file here?
>
> No, I am talking about nsrla.res.   I left the servers file alone,
> as it has the server name in it.    I set the server name in the
> response file.
>
> > You are not using IP-addresses for the allowed server??
> > That is really not recommended. Use the name instead!
> > And set up the client resolution of that name with DNS,
> > /etc/hosts or other.
>
> I am not that silly.

Good,

I have been teaching/installing since -91 now and have seen
a lot of "silliness" so forgive me for asking....

> Here is what we did:
>
> 1)  Gave our server an interface into the private VLAN
> 2) created a client with a DNS name unique to its secondary i/f
> (the one we want to back it up over)
> 3) added the secondary i/f IP of the server in the client "Server Network
> Interface" entry.
>
> At this point, the probe worked but all attempts to run a savegrp failed
> with "unable to connect to nsrexecd: connection refused", or similar.

Did you set up the "standard" address of the client as an alias
in the client entry?

> I don't just change files like a wild monkey, banging on a keyboard,
> I actually tested each method empirically, until it worked, knowing
> that the OID identifier for each entry would need to match the IP
> address of the client.

Yes, but you are still using a method that might work with your specific
setup right now, but not necessarily with the next networker upgrade
or when something else change. Not good.

Be assured that your setup is not unique and I have myself installed
100:ds of similar installation, and it really work according to the manual.

I would try to find out what is wrong at your site and correct that instead
of editing files that shouldn't be touched.

Dag