Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up through a Firewall

2005-11-22 18:21:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up through a Firewall
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT TRIPOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:01:05 -0600
We do basically the same thing, except we are using rsync over
ssh so we don't have to allocate the extra disk space on the client.

Rodney

Jim Ruskowsky wrote:
Mark -

We solved this issue by having a filesystem on the client (in the DMZ) to
which we locally
backed up server (we generate a ufsdump for each filesystem).

At some fixed point in time after the ufsdumps are kicked off, the
networker server scp's
the files from the dmz client onto a local disk.

With this setup, the only hole you open up is for scp - which is initiated
from inside the firewall.
You don't even need any networker software on the dmz client machine, but
you do need extra
disk space on both client and server for the transfers.

Hope this give you another idea how to solve this.

Jim

"signoff networker" in the