Networker

Re: [Networker] How to run an Incremental from a specific date?

2005-11-17 19:04:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to run an Incremental from a specific date?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:02:38 -0500
Let's suppose you did need to delete the last couple of incrementals. If for some reason you did need to scan the tape(s) to retrieve one or more of the good incr save sets that you deleted in order to re-run a previous incremental, how do you specify them if you can't query the database on them anymore? Just step through the whole tape?

George

Davina Treiber wrote:

Darren Dunham wrote:

Case in point. Let's say I run an incremental on Monday for a particular group, and another on Tuesday, and for some reason I try to clone one of the save sets from Tuesday, but the cloning operation fails because it can't read the save set. If I run another incremental it will capture all the files since Monday. What I really want is to capture all the files since Sunday. The only thing I can think of would be to run a level backup, but this would go all the way back to the previous lower numbered backup which in our case would be the previous full. That seems like over kill? Would be nice if you could tell NetWorker to choose a particular incremental for a particular date.

Will this work: `save -s server -b pool -g group -l incr -t mm/dd/yy` if I run that command from the server, and mm/dd/yy is Sunday's date?

It might, but I'm not sure of all the ramifications.  However, you'd run
that from the client, not the server.  Also, you'd want to specify the
time down to the second.  I think if you just give a date it'll assume
the beginning of the day (00:00:00).  Pull the proper one from 'mminfo'.

I wouldn't risk this strategy.

If your bad incremental were the last one run, it's probably easiest to
just delete it from the media database and rerun the incr.

A fine plan, and even if it wasn't the last you could possibly delete two or three incrementals to take you back to the right point. These would not be totally lost since you could scanner them back in in an emergency.

How long do you go with just incrs?  I don't go very long because I'm
sure i'll damage or lose a tape someday and I don't want to invalidate a
ton of other tapes when that happens.

I totally agree - I am not happy to depend on more than about a week's worth. More than that and I would be wanting a new full or to throw in a level backup. Recovering a whole filesystem from two weeks of incrementals is a soul-destroying experience.

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

"signoff networker" in the