Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape offset

2005-11-16 12:01:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape offset
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:00:09 -0800
> The barcodes and volumes all exist as full tapes. When the tape is first
> inventoried there is no problem but that is because the information
> already exists in the media db. It is when the tape is loaded and
> actually read that the problem is seen. It is something on the tape
> itself.

When the initial inventory is done, networker assumes that mapping it
has for barcode->volume is correct.

If something causes the tape to be loaded, it will verify that the label
on tape matches its assumption.  If not, the tape is rejected.  This can
happen if it has multiple mappings for a barcode.

So the rejection after loading the tape is a symptom.  We have to go
back further and try to figure out what's causing it to get confused in
the first place.

> H:\>mminfo -av -q barcode=M00029 -r volume,barcode,volaccess
>  volume        barcode        vl access
> Monthly.159    M00029        12/25/2004
>
> When the tape is actually mounted in the drive, it will be rejected
> since it will be reported as Monthly029. We have found this in two sets
> of tapes. Maybe you can see what I mean by there being a problem with
> the offset, since it picks up part of the barcode as part of the volume
> name.

If you haven't re-inventoried it, what does this display?

mminfo -av -q volume=Monthly029 -r volume,barcode,volaccess