Networker

Re: [Networker] Byte order differences when moving from Solaris to Linux

2005-11-09 17:51:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Byte order differences when moving from Solaris to Linux
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:50:05 -0800
On Nov 9, 2005, at 2:29 PM, George Sinclair wrote:

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before, and I checked the archive, and I read a lot of the posts -- some were mine! -- but I want to be clear on this issue, and I don't think I am. It's been a while, and I know more people have migrated to Linux, so I wanted to clear this up.

We're considering moving from Solaris (NetWorker 6.1.1) to Red Hat Linux (NetWorker 7.2.1). Clearly, Solaris is Big Endian (okay, memory wise), and Linux is Intel X86 and thus Little Endian. Here are my questions:

1. The general consensus seems to be that the client indexes (6.x or later) are endian neutral (they're stored in some format wherein NetWorker will not care about byte ordering) and will, therefore, not be affected by this, *BUT* the media database is binary and could be affected, true?

True.

2. EMC Legato does not officially support moving from one OS to a different OS (even same endian), but people have done it successfully, true?

True.

I guess I thought they had a published migration path, since it has been done by many people for many years. Oh, well.

3. This should work as long as the transfer of the media database is done in a manner wherein the data stream is endian neutral. For example, following the steps in the disaster recovery guide to back up the indexes and media database to tape (e.g. 'savegroup -o group -l full' on the Solaris box and then 'mmrecov' on Linux end) and then recover to Linux end, (especially the media database). OR using 'uasm' to save the entire /nsr directory to a file on the Solaris end, transfer to Linux end and then use 'uasm' again to extract from file, yes?

4. Is the media database in fact endian specific? I never could get an answer from Legato on this. Does anyone actually know what exactly in NetWorker is endian affected? Is it just the media database? Maybe nothing?

Pre-6.x it was everything. Post 6.x, the way client indexes are stored changed from the old WISS database to an XDR encoded data structure, which is endian independent.

5. How can we best test that the migration has worked and that there are no endian affected problems?

Of course, even if you get the bits to transfer correctly, you will have other problems. Machine ID, IP addresses, host names, drive names, etc., that are stored in the database. I don't have answers for these, but I'm sure other people do.

Byron

"signoff networker" in the