Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP 7.2

2005-10-26 06:28:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP 7.2
From: Philippe Michel <philippe.michel AT THALESGROUP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:24:56 +0200
Kilpatrick, Mark a écrit :

It took the same amount of time! Looks as though our 4gb of data with
120,000 files always took over 20 minutes of processing before it
started writing data. We never noticed as we have lots of other savesets
specified under the client.

I also noticed that we had the same messageon the tape device - writing
128kb - this message appeared immediately and then did not change until
the data started writing twenty minutes later.

NDMP backups use the host native backup command, and this is the way Netapp's (and most unix') dump work. It first scans the directory structure and saves it. This a small volume of data (hence the 128kb/s only) but can take some time. It then saves the real data.

These details are missing from the notification mails. The full log is too verbose and gets truncated and there is just the end (dump is done ... deleting snapshot .... processing file history ...) in the mails, but you could try to snoop in /nsr/tmp on the backup server while the backup is running and see the transient full log.

There is something logged on the netapp as well, in /vol/vol0/etc/log/backup, but is is more terse. The five phases you'll see there are :
I   mapping regular files
II  mapping directories
III dumping directories
IV  dumping regular files
V   dumping ACLs
Only phase IV moves a significant amount of data to the backup device, but the others can take some time (especially I).

"signoff networker" in the