Networker

[Networker] configuring a NW server with two NICs (DMZ bkups)

2005-10-20 12:42:31
Subject: [Networker] configuring a NW server with two NICs (DMZ bkups)
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:41:10 -0500
I've searched the archives but not found anything pertaining to my
situation.   Please forgive me if I missed something.

I have a Solaris-based NW 721 server which backs up a number of clients
(UNIX) nightly.   Recently a particular client was moved into the DMZ and
assigned a new IP, so understandably NW choked on backing it up since the
client's nsrexecd could no longer talk to nsrd on the server.

I spoke with our LAN people, who are vehemently opposed to punching holes
in the firewall but instead suggested that I enable another NIC on the bkup
server and and hook it into the DMZ network.    We've done this, so now the
config looks like this:

clientIP:  x.x.x.19 (DMZ space)
serverIP:  x.x.9.26 (LAN IP)
      and      x.x.x.23 (DMZ space, same subnet as clientIP)

At this point my head is so full of useless information about firewalls,
ports, etc. that I cannot think straight and solve this problem.   What am
I doing wrong?

Thx in advance

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.