Networker

Re: [Networker] Scripts for labeling tapes

2005-09-26 11:02:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scripts for labeling tapes
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:55:26 -0500
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:44:12AM -0400, Adam wrote:
> Has anyone written a perl script to relabel tapes on a library? I'm looking
> for script that will scan the library slots, email sysadmin for the
> appropriate tapes to be inserts, and relabel them. I'm trying to automate my
> weekend full backups instead of using the networker admin gui.

I don't have a script to show as an example, but I gave up using the
networker admin gui to administer the jukebox a long time ago.  The
nsrjb command line tool is really powerful and does everything you'd
need to do -- with the benefit of using concurrent drives and being able
work on non-concurrent slots on the same command.  For example,

nsrjb -I -S 4 -S 11-20 -S 55-60

would use all of your available drives (except for one, in case it was
needed for restores, and that's configurable,) and inventory all of
those slots.  On our old library, without a functioning barcode reader,
that single command saved me a TON of time over using the nwadmin gui.

Dave