Networker

[Networker] Alphastor AND Silo IBM3494

2005-09-21 15:25:43
Subject: [Networker] Alphastor AND Silo IBM3494
From: Pierpa <pierpaolo.frassino AT SOLVEIT DOT IT>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:21:49 -0400
Hi to all of you,
I really need a suggestion concerning a configuration I have to put in place
in a short time. Briefly this is my problem:

To the customer site, we have to share an IBM 3494 Silo between 2 NW v7.1.2
servers, therefore, to avoid problems, we proposed to use AlphaStor.
Now I've checked requirements for Alphastor and I've seen that, more or less
they are similar to the STK Silo requirements.
In particular, I need to install AND I CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE PLATFORMS:

- An AS server on  W2K/W2K3 )
- A LCP: HAVE I TO INSTALL IT ON A SYSTEM DIFFERENT FROM THE AS SERVER ?? As
I remember, the answer is yes.If yes, I'll use the system who hosts a
NetWorker server in cluster on HP UX, so I'll have AS robot LCP robotd and
IBM lmcpd in HA. It is a HP UX cluster, I suppose in 11.i, but I have to check.
- many DCPs on HPUX platforms

I've checked OS requirements on the last Software Compatibility guide, but
I've seen that, on HPUX, they are limited to

Unix HP 9000 9000 on version 11.0(32)
Unix HP 9000 9000 on version 11.0(64)

as LCP/DCP only.

Have I to consider that it is supported also on HPUX v11.i  as LCP/DCP??
I have no Solaris boxes to install LCP on it, so HPUX is mandatory.

But, aditionally, I have a doubt AND THIS SEEMS TO BE THE MOST IMPORTANT
THING TO UNDERSTAND:
I have from IBM a kit containing lmcpd for W2K. It works well, using mtlib
as test it immediately recognize the IBM library, drives and volumes. MAY I
INSTALL LCP robotd ON W2K to make it working with lmcpd on W2K ?? Doing
thinks in this way, I'll have AS, LCP and lmcpd on the same box, without
having to take care about a second platform ( HPUX ) hosting LCP and lmcpd
separated from AS server.

Any suggestion and clarification is always well accepted  from you  all

Cheers
                               Pierpa