Networker

Re: [Networker] Resource/Guide/Link on applying Advanced File Type Devices

2005-09-21 07:01:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Resource/Guide/Link on applying Advanced File Type Devices
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:05:07 +0200
So full backup starting on fryday and ending on monday of 2.2Tb is the
problem.

Let me ramble a bit:

SDLT max backup speed (local) = 30 mb / sec
SDLT max backup speed (remote) is 10mb/sec on 100mb network

Max backup speed to local attached disk storage 30-40mb/sec

lets say 30mb/sec ~~ 100 GB / hour ~~ 2.5 Tb / 24 Hours
( if data can stream from the disks that fast, meaning many large to very
large files ).

Questions:

1) local or remote backups
2) local or remote adv_file disks
3) what kind of data (many small files,  few large files)
4) why 18Tb of disk space for a backup of 2.2Tbyte (unless you want 5 weeks
online)

Anyway getting your data fast to the adv-file device would be priority, you
can then stage or clone to tape during the week (worst case)

You see, always more questions

Maarten ;)