Networker

Re: [Networker] Help on updating Silo IBM3494 DDS configuration

2005-09-20 06:44:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Help on updating Silo IBM3494 DDS configuration
From: James Dean <jdean AT SANZ DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:36:08 -0400
Pierpa,
Did this solution work?  I have a very similar situationwith 25 physical
and close to 120 logical devices.  The client is adding a few stirage nodes
and also a few tapes drives.  I would hate to redo the silo configuration
through jbconfig again as support has directed me to.

Thanks for you help,

James Dean

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:45:18 -0400, Pierpa <pierpaolo.frassino AT SOLVEIT DOT

wrote:

>Hi all,
>I've the following issue.
>My customer has an already configured Silo IBM3494 with 18 phisical devices
>in DDS. These 18 drives are actually more or less 130 devices in dds,
>assigned to 35 different storage nodes. This configuration is working but
>now the customer needs to update it ( it has new devices installed ) and it
>has no idea on how to add new devices to this configuration ( they din't do
>the configuration before, but a consultant that resigned ).
>I've seen that, for a Silo, I cannot use jbedit. There is no the
possibility
>to delete and recreate the Silo, since it is a mess to rebuild the
>configuration of so many DDS devices. So I'm trying to figure out how to do
>it "on the fly".
>This is what I think is possible to do:
>
>1) Define new devices
>2) Assign the SAME Hardware id to the devices that are in DDS.
>3) Update the Jukebox configuration adding the new devices defined.
>4) Update the Jukebox field "number devices", since this is the DDS device
>number IF IS POSSIBLE TO MODIFY IT.
>5) Update the field "number drives" ( depending on how many PHISICAL
devices
>they have added ) in the Jukebox definition IF IS POSSIBLE TO MODIFY IT.
>6) UPDATE THE FIELD "device hardware ids" in the Jukebox definition IF IS
>POSSIBLE TO MODIFY IT.
>7) Update the fields "loaded volumes", "loaded bar codes", "loaded slots"
>to reflect the DDS devices number.
>
>Are these the correct AND modifyiable fields. Have I to modify different or
>additional fields? There is a more safe method to follow ?
>
>Any help will be really appreciated.
>
>Pierpa
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems