Networker

Re: [Networker] Running 7.2.1 ???

2005-09-16 02:12:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running 7.2.1 ???
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:08:02 +1000
Can you migrate data from SnapImage backup to NW 7.2.1?

Siobhan

Siobhan Ellis
Senior Technology Consultant
Enstor
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Stan Horwitz wrote:

SH> On Sep 15, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Yura Pismerov wrote:
SH>
SH> >
SH> >
SH> > Stan Horwitz wrote:
SH> >
SH> > > On Sep 13, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Jimeee Womack wrote:
SH> > > Last night, we did our first test of an NDMP recover. We successfully
SH> > > recovered approx. 450GB worth of data to a test server via NDMP with
SH> > > SnapImage. The test worked fine. As I write this message, I am  backing
SH> > >
SH> >
SH> > Is it true that 7.2.1 can now do NDMP backups without employing the
SH> > Snapimage ?
SH>
SH> I tried doing a backup of around 450GB that way last night. Although I have
SH> not had time to test that backup yet, it seems to have run fine on a
SH> non-NDMP device.
SH> I am going to try cloning the data tomorrow.

One problem however is that you still need SnapImage to recover data
backed up with SnapImage. This is a major problem if you have backed up
data with a long retention period (in our case, one year). So you need to
have a drive configured as an NDMP device if you want to be able to
recover that data. This issue has been verified with EMC/Legato tech
support.

//Oscar