Networker

Re: [Networker] Running 7.2.1 ???

2005-09-14 15:33:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running 7.2.1 ???
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:25:41 -0400
On Sep 13, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Jimeee Womack wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to 7.2.1 and any feedback. I have a
customer that needs to go to this version for aix 5.3 support but is
reluctant to be on the leading edge.

Howdy Jimeee, how're you doing?

Although I cannot comment on running 7.2.1 on an AIX box, I have been using it on a Solaris 9 box for a couple of weeks. In a typical night, we back up 2.5TB worth of data across around 210 clients. Most of that data rests on seven NDMP clients. Besides our Mirapoint NDMP clients, we have the usual mix of Windows 2000/XP/2003, Solaris, Novell, Tru64 Unix, Linux, and Mac OS X clients. We are not going to upgrade our Novell clients because we only have five of them and their days are numbered, due to Bill Gates.

Last night, we did our first test of an NDMP recover. We successfully recovered approx. 450GB worth of data to a test server via NDMP with SnapImage. The test worked fine. As I write this message, I am backing up that same test data to a non-NDMP device to see how that feature works. This is probably the second most important feature of 7.2.1 that I have been anticipating. So far, it looks like its working with 18GB having been backed up already. I would love to get rid of the dedicated NDMP devices we have on the Sony PetaSite that we've connected to our NetWorker server so I can use those four devices for general backups. When this backup completes, I plan to try cloning the tapes off to our storage node.

The most important feature of 7.2.1 that I personally was anticipating has been a disappointment. As has been discussed on this list a number of times, groups can sometimes just hang when one of the group's clients hangs and then the group never completes or even abends. Well, it seems as if this problem still exists for me with 7.2.1.

Our testing of 7.2.1 here is still not nearly as complete as I would prefer, but so far, the most important thing, recovering data, seems to work fine on the clients where we tried it. We are still mostly running older NetWorker clients, mostly 7.1.3 which is where we were at on our server prior to this upgrade. I just upgraded the Mac OS X client on my workstation and kicked off a full backup of it. My workstation's on a slow sub-net, so that backup probably won't complete until tomorrow, but I definitely plan to try getting back my data to a second disk drive sometime this week to see if it works well.

All-in-all, NetWorker 7.2.1 has been working at least as well as 7.1.3. My biggest issue with backups is trying to push data at my tape library fast enough, but that's not really a NetWorker issue.

"signoff networker" in the