Networker

Re: [Networker] What's considered a "connection"?

2005-09-07 12:48:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] What's considered a "connection"?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:41:43 +0100
On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 17:04, Jeff Mery wrote:
> The basics:
>         Networker 7.1.3 Network Edition
>         Solaris 9
>         3 SAN Storage Nodes
>         Clients are a mix of Solaris, Lin-tel, and Win-tel
>
> Network edition is limited to 64 simultaneous connections across all
> storage nodes.  I'd like to know what's considered a connection.  Let's
> say I'm backing up only one client.  This client has multiple streams
> coming from it (i.e. /opt, /usr, /var or C:, D:, E:).  Does this count as
> a single connection (just the client) or multiple connections (3 total,
> one for each stream)?

It's 3 connections.

> We are adding some d2d backup devices and will be able to increae the
> number of concurrent backups that we run.  I'd like to make sure that we
> either don't hit the connection barrier or we plan for Enterprise edition.

The next step up is Power Edition, not Enterprise Edition.

> (BTW:  I can't search the archives at teaparty.mathworks.com for this
> answer.

The archives are listed at the bottom of every message posted. I don't know who
mathworks are, but temple.edu hosts the official archives. Is Mathworks a
hosting company in some way associated with Temple University? If so then
they're out of order blocking traffic to their customer. Your message is a
little confusing.

>   My company and Mathworks are like the Hatfields and McCoys.

Who are they? Is this some local reference? This is a worldwide list, so your
comparison is lost on the majority of us.