Networker

[Networker] Legato Issues

2005-09-01 10:14:57
Subject: [Networker] Legato Issues
From: Ian Batten <igb AT FTEL.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:58:48 +0100
Imagine I'm backing up a machine. The backup is taking place as part of an autostarted group. The pool that is selected on the basis of the hostname, group and level is disk based. When the group completes, an incremental backup is taken of the indexes, which goes to tape. We now have the savesets on disk, with their indexes on tape.

At some later point, either based on the age of the saveset or the capacity of the disk volume, the savesets are staged to tape. The savesets that end up on tape have the same ssid as those that originally went to disk, and therefore reference the same items in the indexes, which has gone to tape. However, only the media database will know that the savesets are now on tape. By observation, no metadata goes to tape at this point. The clones that were on disk are then deleted.

So the timeline is:

Perform backup to disk.

Write indexes to tape.

Write savesets to tape.

Delete savesets from disk.

What would happen if my media database were to be damaged after the savesets have been deleted from disk? The only thing that knows that the savesets are on tape is the media database, and I only have one copy of that. Which just got destroyed. The only way to find those savesets again is to get the ssid from the copy of the media database which was written to tape after the original save to disk, and then trawl through all the media that could possibly have been near a tape drive in the intervening period looking for savesets.

I think that the media database should be backed up to tape after the savesets have moved from disk to tape, but before they are deleted from their source device.

Or am I missing something?

ian

"signoff networker" in the