Networker

Re: [Networker] Second IP on Server

2005-08-26 22:24:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Second IP on Server
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:16:23 -0400
On Aug 26, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Alan Skinner wrote:

I am on a 100mb network. Trying to make my back ups faster. My hp server has a single network interface card with two ports. I have a library with 2 sdlt 320's rated at 16MB per second per driver. I am averaging 6 or 7 MB per second per drive. What I thought I could do is assign a second ip to the other nic. Then go around and change half my host files so that half my servers would backup on the other ip, basically increase my input to the backup server. I did the experiment but networker is giving me a connection
refused. The client recognises the fully qualified domain name and the
second ip. I am a windows environment. Is there any configuration on the
networker server that needs to done.

Where do you intend to run that second network cable from? If you are going to run that cable to your server's second NIC from the same switch that already handles your server's network traffic on its primary NIC, then your plan may not result in much of an improvement. If that's the case, there are other options, but it can't hurt to try your idea first.

"signoff networker" in the