Networker

Re: [Networker] Best Method to backup NetApp Filers....

2005-08-24 15:34:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best Method to backup NetApp Filers....
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:29:02 -0400
We have two clustered NetApp F940 as well. We are using Legato 7.2 with NDMP to
back them up across the network (not via NFS or CIFS) to a STKL180 with 6 x
LTO-2 drives that are also used by our Network server for other clients. The
advantange with this is that you can parallel streams and integration with our
other storage pools. The important thing is to setup a 2nd Gigabit interface in
all the NetApps and the backup server and tune the TCP/IP parameters including
using Jumbo frames (very important).

We can do a full backup of 7 TB in just under 12 hours. We could do this in
signifcantly less time if we could breakup one multi-terrabyte volume into
multiple qtrees and run parallel streams.

Here are some of the tcp tunnables (via Solaris)

ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_max_buf    4194304
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_cwnd_max   2097152
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_xmit_hiwat 1048576
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_recv_hiwat 1048576
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_tstamp_always 1
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_wscale_always 1

----
Matthew Huff           | One Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA LLC                | Phone: 914-460-4039
http://www.otaotr.com  | Fax:   914-460-4139