Networker

Re: [Networker] Best Method to backup NetApp Filers....

2005-08-24 11:26:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best Method to backup NetApp Filers....
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:23:33 -0400
We use NDMP as well.   The FC tape drives are added to Networker as NMDP
devices...the filer essentially "owns" the tape drives, the Networker
server "owns" and controls the libary arm.

Ronny,

How have you been dealing with tape errors in your NDMP evironment?  This,
to me, seems to be one of the NDMP drawbacks..tape errors don't get
communicated to Networker well and result in backup failures?  The NetApp
logging leaves a lot to be desired also.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:51:53 +0200, Ronny Egner <ronny.egner AT SIV DOT DE>
wrote:

>Srinivas Rao wrote:
>
>> Dear Networkers,
>> As I am new to NetApp filers and NDMP, I would like to know the best cost
>> effective method to backup NetApp Filer by using Legato Networker. Please
>> also let me know the licenses required.
>
>Hi,
>
>we backup our NetApp filer by using NDMP. So far no problem.
>The tape device is connected to the filer directly via fc.
>
>AFAIK legato does not support serverless backups (i.e. the data
>flows from the netapp filer directly into the tape library over
>tcp/ip)....
>
>You need one NDMP licencse
 per filer (i.e. if you have a clustered