Networker

Re: [Networker] SCSI card that can support 64, 96 and128KB Block sizes

2005-07-28 14:11:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] SCSI card that can support 64, 96 and128KB Block sizes
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:06:39 +0100
Matthew Robert wrote:
> This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.
>
> Good morning all,
>
> Recently we upgraded our backup server, and SCSI cards. Our old setup used
> to use a block size of 128KB, however the new setup can only handle 64KB
> blocks. I am sure this is due to the different SCSI adaptors we are now
> using. Running the command "mt -f \\.\Tapex stat"  (where x is the drive
> number) it tells me the the maximum block size is 64KB. This is a problem,
> because I cannot restore any tapes that were written on our old setup.
>
> The adaptors are Compaq/HP 5312's, and the library is an ATL P2000 with
> SDLT320 drives. I have tried increasing the DWORD value for the
> MaximumSGList value in the registry, however it appears to have had no
> effect on the maximum block size.
>
> Can anyone reccomend a SCSI card that will support up to 128KB blocks?

I expect that your current card can, the limitation is probably in the
drivers. Some time ago I was working with some HP/Compaq SCSI adapters
on NT4. These cards would support 128KB block size no problem. Some
servers were upgraded to a new build with a later driver for the SCSI
cards and from then on we could only read/write at a maximum of 64KB
block size. HP were totally unhelpful in providing any information
regarding this, such as SGlist parameters etc.

You might have some success with an older version of the SCSI card
driver. Failing that there is good old Adaptec.