Networker

Re: [Networker] Two questions on savesets and volumes?

2005-07-27 17:10:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Two questions on savesets and volumes?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:04:49 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Two questions on savesets and volumes?, George...:

Two questions here on save sets:

1. Is there a way to determine which volume a specific path name is on if the parent file system is split across multiple tapes? I'm assuming we're
still in the browse policy for the affected client.

NetWorker can obviously figure it out when doing a recover, so it's clear
that the necessary information is present in the databases (client index
+ media database).  NetWorker isn't always willing to share everything it
knows, though.

I think your best bet is to experiment with the `-V' flag to nsrinfo,
which will report the offset within the saveset.  Using that with mminfo's
saveset fragment information (the third and final section of the
documentation on the custom query/report fields in the mminfo man page)
may allow you to figure out the file and record number on a particular
volume that would contain what you're looking for.

I've never tried to do this, so I don't know how easy it is, or even
whether it's truly possible.  That's the route I would go, though.

2. Guess this is the converse of question 1. Is there a way to see all the files (pathnames) on a given volume that are still within the browse policy? mminfo shows only saveset names, and nsrinfo won't show you the volumes.

Probably, but again it's probably not easy and you would likely have to
approach it the same was as your first question.  Because the client
indexes are "higher level" than the media database (the client indexes
depend on/reference information in the media database), there's no natural
way that I know of to perform the query you're asking about.  You have to
(I think) do it in two steps.

I would probably start by generating a list (using mminfo) of all the
browseable savesets on a volume.  I would certainly want to include the
nsavetime in the report generated.

From there, you would generate a list of all the files that are in some
saveset (using nsrinfo).  The trick is going to be correlating the offset
within the saveset (as reported by nsrinfo) with the actual file number
and record number on tape where that offset of that saveset is stored.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu