Networker

[Networker] Fast way to recover using saveset recover?

2005-07-27 15:17:33
Subject: [Networker] Fast way to recover using saveset recover?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:13:15 -0400
If you have something you need to recover, and it's beyond the browse policy, is there any way to speed up the saveset recover process? Obviously, with the saveset recover GUI window you have no options, but thought I remember seeing something about being able to run recover -S ssid with some other option or pipe to some other command to expedite? Might be thinking of uasm with scanner? Thought it involved uasm but might be thinking of something else.

Just want to clarify my understanding here:
If you're not using something like nsrck -L7 to merge in an older index, and you're gonna instead use saveset recover to rebuild a directory then you have to select the last full (depending), and all of the incrementals from the full up to the most recent time you want since you don't know which saveset instances would have the directory and which would not. If the directory only changed a few times since the last full then it might not be on all those savesets, but unless you knew, you'd have to play it safe and select all of them, right? Seems a bummer since some of those savesets might be very large and might not even have that directory on them if no changes occurred that day, but guess there's no other way. Gotta byte the bullet.

If the saveset was 300 GB, and you only needed to recover a 2 MB directory then I guess saveset recover must read through the entire saveset, so even if what you want is right at the beginning, unless you're absolutely certain you have all your data, you have to let it continue to read every thing else, right?

George