Networker

[Networker] Discrepancy in Versions window in nwrecover?

2005-07-26 18:27:18
Subject: [Networker] Discrepancy in Versions window in nwrecover?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:20:46 -0400
Hi,

I'm not seeing what I would expect when I look at versions under nwrecover for a given directory. We're running 6.1.1 on Solaris server, client is using Linux. This might be a bug in our old release, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something so version might be moot. Here's the scoop:

I had to recover a directory (/0/data/dir). I used nwrecover on the client and then selected my browse time back to July 21. When I selected the directory, and I checked 'View'->'Volumes', it listed three volumes: two incrementals and one full volume (FUL700). Saveset recover indicates the last full for /0 is on volumes: FUL699, 700, 701, 702. I ran the nwrecover tool and recovered the data just fine. It loaded the three tapes indicated and all went smoothly.

However, while in nwrecover, if I simply clicked on the folder corresponding to the directory (Selection: /0/data/dir), and then 'View'->'Versions', I notice that the only full volume it lists is FUL701 at the bottom. That doesn't seem right. Why would it not instead list FUL700? After all, this is the volume required when doing the actual recover. I notice if instead I click on an actual file, down under there, that has not changed since the last full and then choose versions, I see FUL700 listed which is what I would expect. The fact that versions lists FUL701 for the actual directory would, though, seem to indicate the directory was somehow backed up to that volume the last time a full ran on /0, but if that's the case then why was FUL701 not needed for the recovery?

George